Sunday, October 26, 2014

Going down the Bayou (or the Brazos river per chance?)‏ -- October 15, 2014

Well, how are y'all doing? I bet you're all wondering where I am.  Maybe I'll just not tell you.  I'll leave it until next Monday.  You'll find out someday.  I'm even further out from Houston now.  At this rate I'll be in the ocean by next May.  Me and my companion are in the Brazoria branch.  Its in Brazoria county.  Its a branch with us and the spanish sisters.  Its a pretty nice area down in cities such as Freeport, Clute, etc.  We work a lot in Freeport which is almost the coast.   As for tourist attractions here, I think the only thing would be the Clute Texas mosquito festival.  There are mosquitos here needless to say.  My address is as follows:

200 Timbercreek Drive Apt #901
Richwood, Texas 77531

My comp is Elder Mehew from Richfield Utah.  I feel like we're going to do some awesome work here.  The branch just barely became mostly independent.  The youth activities are now run by the branch.  Elder Mehew and I are, as it always seems to be, different from me, but I think that is going to be awesome here.  We make up for what the other lacks.  He's the district leader so I don't know what to do in the evenings any more.  I can only write in my journal so much.  But its an awesome area (with investigators!).  We have some cool people.

The people do make this area pretty awesome.  Wednesday when I got here we asked an investigator when he wanted to be baptized and he said, Christmas is a cool time.  How about the day after Christmas?  So we're waiting to fix that.  Saturday he came to the branch activity.  A multicultural activity (Basically a fiestas patrias, I just had one in Brazos).  We have a white president to the branch that spoke Portuguese until he was called as the president here.  We have a cool investigator named Maribel that came to church on Sunday. Just sacrament because of her son, but we're hoping to see her soon since we haven't been able to since Sunday.  It was good.  Church was good.  They feed us a lot here.  Our calendar had something on it for everyday this week.  I love being fed by hispanics.  Mom, when I come home from my mission we're not having any of that tex-mex cafe rio stuff.  I ask that you learn how to cook either mole, pisole, or sopes.  Preferably all three for that day that is never supposed to come called "homecoming." Hopefully it never does.  Google them!

We're in the world of english elders now, our zone only has two pairs of Spanish missionaries, so its kind of strange for me.  My last area was surrounded by just sisters, and no elders nearby.  Now that I'm here, they were all playing basketball, so I just wrote letters after playing scatterball for a little bit.  As y'all know i dislike basketball.  All of the other elders are way different from elders I've been with before. But I love the area, so I really have nothing I need to complain about.  I  do miss Brazos... I don't like leaving places after two transfers.  But its going to be awesome here!

So Andy isn't going to get any riding.  I still really want to go to the city.  Before transfers I was almost convinced I was going to South Houston on a bike, but somehow I ended up here, near Lake Jackson.  My desires to go on a bike will probably catch up to me when they send me to a bike in the worst part of winter.  And this area had a Nissan Frontier just a few weeks ago! But they opened a YSA branch and apparently the truck wasn't used the right way by somebody so we're stuck with a Malibu...

Oh yeah, Sunday we had a guy in his car when we were backing out from an apartment complex break down in front of us and asked us to help him.  So we saw him yesterday and really brought the spirit to him.  Its just an awesome sight to see that spirit help somebody by just our presence.  Our mission tour basically taught us about how we need to be preaching more about Christ!  Not about the church, or all the apendages, everything goes back to Christ.

I love you all, and all you've done for me!  The church is true and the refining power of the atonement is too!!!  Malachi 3:2-3, I just like that scripture cuz it sounds cool.  I'll send pictures as soon as I take some.

Elder David Austin Barlow

No comments:

Post a Comment