Friday, May 9, 2014

Your Last Letter To Mexico 4/16/2014

Dear family,
I love you all so very very much, I am quite excited to go to Texas and be off of this cafeteria food.  I can't exactly control myself at a cafeteria with what I eat, I definitely haven't lost any weight, but I don't think I've really gained so that's good.  We'll see how Texas is.  First I'll answer that question about the letter.  We have our "investigators" right? They're just our teachers, so one of them left McKinley a "letter from the investigator."  Basically she didn't talk in a way that is very nice, mostly just honest, but it was hard for McKinley to take it.  It reminds me of piano lessons when the teacher says "I loved how you phrased that line," and then goes into what she wants to say about how you can get better.  Basically, the happy part wasn't in the letter and it was kind of negative.  Anyways, I spent more time writing that than I probably needed to but oh well.

I leave next Tuesday with McKinley and Steed.  We go to reception an 6:30 to be to the airport on time.  Its wonderful that I don't have to be there at two in the morning like some people in my district.  I honestly have no clue when the next time I will write you is, so I guess you can write me Tuesday or something, because that is the day I get to the mission home, and I'll see what happens then.  Being in Mexico I have no idea what to do with a phone, so I would be honestly afraid to find out what to do with a phone here out of country, and I don't think we'll have time when we reach Houston.  I remember when Aaron left on his mission and talked about why he didn't call at the airport.  I know you want me to, but I dunno if I physically can, or emotionally can.  Plus it is too much work to deal with pesos and American $'s.  Mother's day is coming up soon so it won't be a long time!  Even our carry on has a weight limit.  I'll make an extra effort to ensure that my bags are under weight, but luckily I have three so I should be okay.

Lets see, the temple was only a bit less than an hour away.  We passed a sears, which apparently is a very high class store down here like Nordstroms or something.  Spanish I think is coming alright.  Grammar I have got down pat, French helped with some of that stuff like the different kinds of past tenses.  Pienso que sea por le menos "adequate."  Puedo hablar muchos palabras del Evangelio, a pesar de mi conocimiento de Frances.  No es facil hablar con los latinos, pero puedo entendir cuando personas hablan.  As for my missionary plaque, I think I said Romans 1:16, but I suddenly just as I'm sitting here am trying to remember other scriptures.  I think actually, I want 2 Corinthians 12:10 "Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, indistresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."  Yes, that is the scripture I want.  I like that one more and more.  I've been reading the New Testament back and forth between Spanish and English depending on my mood.  I really like Ephesians.  And I really can understand when I read in Spanish, at least partways, and at least when its a chapter I know.  Its a great way to learn new words and how Spanish is put together.

I liked the pictures you sent me, especially the one of Aaron and grandma.
 Tell her I love her!  Your talk of food always makes me dislike the cafeteria, especially those strawberries.  We had a picnic as a district today.  We had bread and nutella and chips we'd bought from the tienda (store).  I don't think I'll get pictures on today, but I will likely do so next time, whenever that is.  I forgot my camera anyways.

As for my week, I've been a little more shabby on my journal writing this week.  Mostly because not much new has been happening.  We are all just getting ready to leave.  We are all quite excited to leave, and we are all quite nervous.  Especially Fisher and Richards. They're going to Concepcion Chile.  Hermana Baldwin is going to Phoenix Arizona.  I found those two things a little bit ironic to me.  I can't wait to have a secret language with my cousins.  I've heard stories of missionaries who came back and worked for some company, and then got put in charge of finding out what the Latinos spoke about in Spanish when they though no one was listening.  I have also fallen in love with Jicama, something like a big turnip or something.  We just get it chopped up so I don't know what it looks like.  I just put some chile powder on it and it is delicious!  Lets see, I've had a couple of tie trades the past week, I get attached to my ties though.  The guys in mine and McKinley's house came in the same time as us, and basically I'm glad they are not in our district.  I feel like on a mission I have seen the most subtle hypocrisy ever in the church.  But hey, that is always going to be a problem no matter what you do.  And they all have such sweet spirits (you can say anything about someone if you say that at the end).  The gospel is true, the people aren't.  If only we could all be perfect.  But then why would we be preaching Christ?

Anyways, I don't think I really have much more to say.  I guess I have to say that I do love you mom and dad! You are in my prayers! (Our last Sunday is Easter Sunday, that is kind of a beautiful thing.)  If I get a chance to call I will, but in honesty I wouldn't expect it.  Its hard enough to focus on a new city when I'm thinking about my family.  I loved the pictures you sent me!  The gospel is true!  And really, Let us All Press On from conference is such an amazing song.  The arranger has one-upped Mack Wilberg.  I just remember it wasn't him.  Well I love you guys again! Thanks for the prayers!  I also pray for you.  Have an amazing Easter!  Paint eggs for me!

With love, your favoritest elder,

Elder David Austin Barlow

No comments:

Post a Comment