Friday, May 9, 2014

Wait... People don't know who Mormons are? ‏ 4/28/2014

Well hello y'all, its my first week here in Texas, and I am having a wonderful time.  I don't know what I can all explain about this week in the little time I have.  Basically a week ago I was at the CCM (Not MCC ;) ) and that feels like forever ago.  Being home seems like even more forever ago.  But really, things are great and I am happy.  So how can I begin?  I'll probably just end up ranting about anything and everything I can.  We shall see how everything goes.
Lets start at Tuesday then, that will keep me organized.  Last Monday night, all the girls had already left, so it was just us and Hermano Hernandez for class.  He just talked about his missionary stories and then he bought us churros.  The most amazing churros you will ever imagine stuffed with Carjeta, bluberry, vanilla, nutella......   I'm drooling just remembering them.  So we were all packed and the other elders were leaving at like two in the morning.  We all were in the same house for the last night and we all said our goodbyes.  Tuesday morning we woke up and headed out with McKinley, Steed, and me.  We flew out of Mexico and landed in the green land of humid Texas.  It was a wonderful feeling getting here, even though we were all just extremely nervous and all had this pit in our stomach that we hadn't felt since entering the MTC.  Its like as soon as a place becomes home you have to leave....   That's the mission for ya.  We were picked up along with some English elders and went to a chapel.  We went running, and I went with an elder from Ecuador.  Running is where you just go and talk to people, and it made me feel like I was somewhat ready to be here.  Wow, everything I just said sounds like it was ages ago to me.  Tuesday night we went and slept at one of the Mission people's homes in the most comfy bed I can imagine.  She had an amazing piano, and she had some classical music books, so I played Debussy for about an hour.  If you want to send me my Debussy piano book in whatever package shows up next, that would be wonderful.  Also, you sent me the camera thing to hook it up to the TV.  I don't know if my camera came with one, but I was looking for the USB port.  Its the same kind of thing that is on iPod's.  But its okay.  I don't know if I will get you pictures because of that, we shall see.  Although the fools for Jazz picture where Bethany had red eyes made my day. Tell her good luck with finals for me.

Anyways, Wednesday we went to the mission office to be oriented.  We ate kolache's for breakfast, some Czech food found here in Texas.  Its basically a stuffed roll. Look it up, and then make some.  They're amazingly delicious.  Well now I guess I can tell you where I am and who my companion is.  I am in Missouri City NW, a little suburb outside of Houston.  There are lots of hispanics to teach here.  My companion is Elder Sydney Tate from Orem Utah.  He came on his mission last August and has only been in the area a transfer.  Basically I think we work great together.  I'm trying to be at a point where I can talk more, because basically I freeze whenever I need to OYM (Open your moth) people on the street.  I can't just talk to people, or at least I hate it.  I just have to go and feel awkward I guess.  We'll see if I can do that this week.  But its good and we work super hard. We have a car in this area, and so our mission's theme song is "Come Thou Fount,"  and basically we listen to that MoTab CD all the time.  Especially that song, but I don't mind.  Its funny because he has told me that he used to listen to metal before he went on his mission, and that just seems so unreal to me.

Thanks for the Easter package!!!! Especially the CD.  We're going to listen to it today while driving.  And thanks for the slinky and reses pieces.

So Thursday.  Man I have a lot to say, and my time is only half way up!  We have a family that is just progressing like a hurricane!  We taught the word of Wisdom, and they just loved it!  Apparently Elder Tate had taught the Law of Chastity like last week, and they weren't married, but they were just like, "We see the importance, lets get married!"  I pray that the Martinez Family gets baptized, because they really could.  THey also fed us pesole.  It was really good.  I don't know if I spelt that right, but its a chicken and some sort of rice thing soup.  I had the wierdest Deja Vu while eating it though.  Like I'd been in that apartment before eating the same thing.  Maybe I've just been somewhere similar.

We get fed a lot here, but I think I'll do okay.  Now that I'm not at a cafeteria, its easier not to just snarf food, especially when I'm making myself eggs.

Friday, I kind of already said the things I wrote in my journal Friday.r

Saturday, I got offered a cigarette for the first time in my life!  How exciting! But the investigator we were teaching then was cool.  We have had a lot to do the last few days.

Sunday,  My first day at church here was spend playing the organ!  I don't think I need to explain any more about that, just it was super great.

ANyways, I honestly can't think of anything more to say.  I've kind of ranted about how excited I am, and how awesome everything is.  My trainer and I get along, we are focused on the work, and even when I'm falling asleep during study time, I'm working as hard as I physically can.  I pray for you guys! ANd I love you all!

Your favorite elder,

Elder David Austin Barlow.

Oh, and about my subject, that is the only thing that has completely and utterly surprised me while on my mission.  I just thought that everybody knew who Mormons were in this day and age.  I guess not.

No comments:

Post a Comment